Test Sign Measurement Accuracy
We have provided a way to test the measurement accuracy of your fonts using our app.
This will allow you to manually measure the width, height and advanced model of any text combination with any font of your choosing.
What you'll need
- Adobe Illustrator (Free trial available)
- A advanced model customizer installed on your store with fonts added
- Setup a special pricing rule on your customizer for testing
- On the customizer and Adobe illustrator, settings should be centimeters for the measurement unit
1. Create A Pricing Rule for Testing
- Create a new pricing with only one price extension
- Set the Base Price to 0
- Set the Shipping Cost to 0
- Set the Letter Material Cost to 1
2. Generate Sample SVG
- Go to the page of your chosen font to test, if you don't have a font added yet follow this guide to add your font
- Ensure the Pricing Rules that is assigned is the one you created for testing purpose
At the Test accuracy banner on the right, add the text you want to use for the SVG file
- Click on Generate SVG to save the file
3. Adobe Illustrator Setup
- After installing Illustrator, create a new document
- On Adobe Illustrator option at the top, choose Preference > Units
- Change the unit to Centimeters and save
- On the Window option at the top, click on Document Info and ensure the window is present
4. Ready to test
- Go to the customizer page on your storefront
- Choose the same font and text used for the SVG file
- Choose a size and take note of the width, height and price (advanced model)
- On Illustrator, choose File > Place and select the generated SVG
- Make sure to click once on the artboard to place the SVG
- Once you have the SVG selected (e.g. highlighted with the box around the image), go to Properties on the rightmost panel and match the width of the SVG with the customizer text width.
In this example, the width to match is 32.32cm. The height should automatically adjust as the width changes .
- On the Document Info, the first line should include the total path length. Divide this length by 2 to get the final length .
The total path length shown here is 671.3898. The final length would be:
671.3898 / 2 = 335.6949
Compare the AI values with the customizer version. In this example, we have:
Width = 32.32cm
Height = 16.749cm
Width = 32.32cm
Height = 16.75cm
Finally to compare the advanced model accuracy which is used to produce a signs price do the following.
1. AI Path Value
Path = 335.6949cm
2. Price from your Customizer found in step 3
In this example, we are a faction of a cent difference for the price to measurement accuracy and can now be confident this font will work perfectly well with our advanced model pricing model.
If there is a larger difference you can now use this difference as a price addition multiplier to the material cost when entering in your pricing for this font.
And done! You can repeat this process with any font of your choosing.
- If the SVG is not selected, use the Selection tool on the left and click and drag around the image to select
- If it does not adjust to the width, make sure the icon beside it is a linked chain similar to the image below, which can be changed by clicking on it.
- The reason for this is the SVG paths follows the edges of the shapes and we only need the middle equivalent.
In this example, the blue lines represent the SVG path and the red line represents the final path length.